Free Grafton “The freest town in the Free State”

Grafton is a small, rural town in Grafton County, New Hampshire, where many liberty activists have settled.

A detailed profile about the town can be found at FreeHampshire.Com. The Town’s official website is at townofgraftonnh.com.

Grafton was named for Augustus Henry Fitzroy, Duke of Grafton, Earl of Arlington and Euston, Viscount Thetford, and Baron Sudbury. He was a pro-American member of English government prior to the Revolution, and related to New Hampshire Governor Benning Wentworth. Grantees of the initial 1761 charter voted to surrender their grant in 1762. The land was regranted in 1769 to new colonists, including John Hancock and James Otis, well-known Boston patriots. The town was incorporated in 1778. Source.

The name Grafton itself means a farm or settlement in a grove, from Old English grāf “a grove, a copse” and tūn “an enclosure, a farmstead, a village, an estate.” Source.

Currently in Grafton

More to come soon…